Friday, January 5, 2007

Just a Rant




Sorry, my friends, but there are no Great Insights or Life Lessons in today's post. This time, I'm just kvetching.

I've always thought of myself as a good bargain shopper. I seldom pay retail for anything. My heart swells with pride when someone compliments me on the sassy DKNY blazer I bought at the local Goodwill for $4.99 or the adorable two-tone suede pumps I snagged on sale at the Shoe Pavilion.

Alas, there is no Goodwill for fertility drugs. No Gonadatropin Pavilion. I did find an online pharmacy that has pretty good prices, but they're more like Macy's as compared to the Neiman Marcus prices everywhere else. This is just killing me. So I called Kaiser, hoping that maybe my doctor there could write the prescriptions and then I could at least get partial coverage.

Nope. Sorry. They don't cover IVF meds.

Ok, what about the meds that are the same ones you use for IUI?

Nope.

Ok, what about the progesterone I'll need for after the procedure?

Nope.

Syringes?

Nope.

A lollipop?

Click.

It's not like we're going to have to sell our house and live in a van by the river. It just sticks in my craw that this stuff is not covered by insurance. Public employment is supposed to have such great benefits. It's really too bad that I'm infertile instead of being in need of a sex change -- yes, Virginia, that's covered, but not IVF. And I'm one of the lucky ones. In all other respects my coverage is good. There are folks out there who need really necessary stuff like HIV meds and insulin and can't afford it.

And if you think this is a rant, just wait until the children I hope to have are ready to go to college . . .







No comments: