Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Not The Spirit Guide I Expected


I originally posted this story on a chat board that I often visit, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if there's a larger lesson in there somewhere.


Or maybe I've finally leapt off the high dive into a giant pool of crazy.


The progesterone supplements give me really vivid dreams. I dream all the time, all night long. I even dream during naps. Yesterday, I was at Lan Ts'ai Ho's office, lying all needled up on a comfy treatment table with a heated blanket over my feet. Lan Ts'ai Ho was reading me one of his Buddhist bedtime stories, in Chinese (he later gave me a translation, and it was a beautiful devotional meditation). So naturally I drifted off to sleep.


I dreamed that Animal from the muppets appeared and said "I'm your spirit guide. Follow me." He turned around and all I could think was, "Huh. I've never seen him from behind before. " He was wearing a little striped vest, and his orange hair was all sticking out, and he had the cutest little pink feet.


I grabbed Atomic's hand and we followed Animal across a desert to the edge of a lake, and then he disappeared, somehow, into my face.


I told Lan Ts'ai Ho about the dream and he asked, "Are you tripping?"


When I told Atomic, he said, "My wife is so weird."


One of my friends suggested that Animal might be the perfect spirit guide for me.


My shrink, thinking perhaps that it was better not to wade into that mess o' madness, simply asked "What do you make of that?"


I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe Animal is the cute but uncontrollable baby spirit that we're trying to convince to be born. Maybe he's my own desire to break out of these restrictive routines and go pound on a drum. Maybe he's leading us to water and trying to show me how to drink.


Or maybe I just need to lay off the progesterone and not fall asleep with an electric blanket on my feet.



No comments: